Tuesday, March 6, 2012

It Depends on What the Meaning of "All" Is

I have subscribed to the New York Times for many years, and these days the print subscription includes "all digital access", but if I want to use the Kindle app to read the paper, I have to pay $19.98 per month in addition to the $46 dollars I already pay. I found that odd, so I sent an email to Customer Support.

Here is the answer:

"Dear Reader,
Thank you for contacting NYTimes.com.
We apologize for the inconvenience, but Home Delivery subscribers do not receive access to the e-reader edition of The New York Times on the Kindle as a benefit of their subscription.
You would need to purchase a separate subscription through Amazon in order to receive the Kindle version of The New York Times.
You can, however, access NYTimes.com as a free benefit of your subscription through the Kindle's web browser.
We hope this helps."
Well, not really. It forces me to choose between paying $19.98 for the Kindle version, which also gives me full online access, or paying more than twice as much for the pleasure of picking up the print product on the driveway. storing it while trying to catch up and eventually packaging it for recycling.

I am leaning towards saving a few trees, and clarifying the meaning of all in "all digital."

No comments: