Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Trying To Capture A Tree In the Fog, Finding A Lion's Tooth

I took a walk in the morning fog last Thursday, thinking that I would capture the giant tree growing in the field by the pond. Then I spotted a lonely seeding dandelion that the mower must have missed. An idea was born, and the result was a picture of a contrast, between large and small, darkness and light.
 

When I started to write this, I asked my self about that strange name - dandelion - strange because in my native Sweden we simply call it maskros (worm-rose). Wiktionary says that the English name comes from the French "dent-de-lion," which means the Lion's tooth. Another source tells me that it had the same name in Sweden back in the 1600s - Lejontand. I wonder what made it go from the King of the Savannah to the Worm-Rose?

No comments: